The club was founded in 1969. It was set up originally as a sporting division within the West Pennant Hills Sports Club, along with cricket, athletics, netball and softball. The first soccer committee elected was Les Lees, Bill Maher, Jim Fuggle and Kevin Smith. On Saturday 1 February 1969, the first registration day at Campbell Park attracted enough players for 13 teams. The first match by a West Pennant Hills team was played at Booth Park, Beecroft on 12 April 1969.
In 1986 the club was renamed West Pennant Hills-Cherrybrook Soccer Club. In 1987 it was incorporated as a separate entity from the Sports Club, when it was decided that the development of soccer as an independent sport should receive stronger focus. In 1998 club membership passed the 1000 mark for the first time and since then has climbed to a record
membership of more than 1300 players in 2003. In 2004 the club has registered 100 teams, another milestone.
Womens’ soccer teams were first introduced in 1995 and continues to grow. In 2002 the girls had their most successful year winning 3 Premierships, 4 championships and 2 Pennants.
In 1996 the club adopted the Lion into its emblem and since then has been known by this short title. In its relatively short lifespan the club has won many premiership, championship and state titles. It is the largest club within the Gladesville Hornsby Football Association and one of the largest in New South Wales. In 1995 the club won the GHFA Club Championship for the first time. In 2000, the club had its most successful year of competition, winning 12 premierships, 13 championships and the State Champion of Champions under 10 first division titles.
The provision of adequate grounds for training and home games remains an issue for the club, due to its expanding membership. In addition to Campbell Park at West Pennant Hills, which remains the club’s premier pitch, Edward Bennett and Thomas Thompson reserves in Cherrybrook were added in the 1980s. In 1997 the club secured access to James Henty Park and Dural Park in neighbouring Dural
In 2002, in partnership with the Redwood Football Club in Blenheim New Zealand, we set up the Trans Tasman Challenge played on a home and away basis. That year our under 15/1s went on tour and took the Challenge Cup back to West Pennant Hills. In 2003, the 14/2s successfully defended the cup and again in 2004 the 15/1s will be travelling to New Zealand.
In 2019, the club will celebrate its 50th anniversary click here to see how you can get involved in some of the events we have coming up to celebrate. Click link to event article
WPHC Football Club Life Members
|Ross & Kay Iredale||1993|
|Mr. Geoff Playdon||1994|
|Mr. Steve Dalgairns||1994|
|Steve & Suzie-Gai Chatman||1995/1999|
|Mr. Ken Walker||1995|
|Mr. Phil Bingemann||1998|
|Mr. Graham Higham||1999|
|Mr. Scott Ramage||2000|
|Mr. Paul Vogelzang||2001|
|Mr. Ken Smith||2002|
|Henry & Lesley de Gorter||2004|
|Mr. Pat Mulligan||2005|
|Mrs. Jenny Heiser||2005|
|Mrs. Cathy Bedwell||2006|
|Mr. Glenn Ashelford||2006|