Director of Coaching’s MessageWednesday, 23 Jan 2019
One of the most rewarding things that you can do at The LIONS is to coach your son or daughter’s team. If I were to give you one piece of advice, it would be to attend every educational opportunity that you are able to. There are a number of educational opportunities for you to attend, including:
- Coaching sessions run at the Club during grading and throughout the season.
- Attending an FFA course relevant to the age that you are coaching, either the Grassroots Football Certificate for U5-9, Skill Training Certificate for U9-13, Game Training Certificate for U13-U17 or Senior Certificate for U17+.
- Coach education sessions provided by GHFA and NWSWF.
Coaching football, in Australia and the style of play we expect from our players, has changed dramatically over the last 5+ years. So even if you have coached at a high level previously, I would encourage you to update your qualifications by attending an age-appropriate course.
At the LIONS we aim to:
- develop well-rounded young players in an environment which teaches respect, teamwork, enjoyment and reward through effort and fair play at all times;
- provide training which systematically develops in our players the key football attributes of player technique (ball skills) and football intelligence;
- encourage players to play a passing game, maintaining possession of the football, playing out from the back – not a “long kick and chase” game;
- provide an environment for every player which allows freedom of expression, creativity and a love of beautiful football; and
- play football with a smile.
Each coach will be provided with our coaching handbook, included with their team’s gear. The handbook includes:
- develop well-rounded young players in an environment which teaches respect, teamwork, enjoyment;
- the coaching framework designed to support and help you, including links to key resources;
- key dates of currently scheduled FFA/FNSW/GHFA courses;
- reference to preferred playing formations; and
- dynamic warmups for players and goalkeepers.
If you have any questions regarding coaching at our Club, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Director of Coaching