Director of Coaching Message 2021Saturday, 2 Jan 2021
One of the most rewarding things that you can do at The LIONS is to coach your son or daughter’s team. If I were to give you one piece of advice, it would be to attend every educational opportunity that you are able to. There are a number of educational opportunities for you to attend, including:
- Coaching sessions run at the Club during grading and throughout the season.
- Attending an FFA course relevant to the age that you are coaching, either the Grassroots Football Certificate for U5-9, Skill Training Certificate for U9-13, Game Training Certificate for U13-U17 or Senior Certificate for U17+.
- Coach education sessions provided by North West Sydney Football (NWSF).
Even if you have played or coached at a high level previously, I would encourage you to update your qualifications by attending an age-appropriate course. The better we are as coaches, the better we can provide an environment for our players to flourish and enjoy their football!
At the LIONS we aim to:
- develop well-rounded young players in an environment which teaches respect, teamwork, enjoyment and reward through effort and fair play at all times;
- provide training which systematically develops in our players the key football attributes of player technique (ball skills) and football intelligence;
- encourage players to play a passing game, maintaining possession of the football, playing out from the back – not a “long kick and chase” game;
- provide an environment for every player which allows freedom of expression, creativity and a love of the beautiful game; and
- create an environment which is fun, enabling our players to play football with a smile.
Each coach will be provided with our coaching handbook, which includes:
- the coaching framework designed to support and help you, including links to key resources;
- details of the weekly Wednesday coaching sessions that you are able to book for yourself, your team, multiple teams or for all coaches in your age group;
- key dates of currently scheduled FFA/FNSW/NWSF courses;
- reference to preferred playing formations; and
- dynamic warmups for players and goalkeepers.
I look forward to another great year for the coaches of The LIONS in 2021. If you have any questions regarding coaching at our Club, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Director of Coaching